If you’re considering moving to another city, you’ll likely find yourself weighing the possible pros and cons that each city offers. From cost of living, to dining and entertainment options as well as the local culture, there is always much to consider. One thing you won’t want to overlook is the prevalence of crime. Here, we are going to take a look at the 10 most dangerous cities in the U.S.
Based on statistics from the FBI, we’ve put together a list of the most dangerous and violent cities.
1. Detroit, Michigan – This town is a chock full of crime, with an average murder rate that is almost 10 times the national average! Crime rates have dropped by marginal percentages in recent years, still keeping this as one of the most dangerous places to live in the U.S.
2. Flint, Michigan – Located very close to Detroit, Flint is another town to be wary of. Due to economic downturns over the course of several decades, this once bustling and thriving town has decayed into a town with a high occurrence of rapes, almost three times the national average.
3. Atlanta, Georgia – While at first, Atlanta may not come to mind as a violent city, the reality is that this town has one of the highest rates of aggravated assault in the entire nation, with about 600 incidents per 100,000 residents per year while the national average is close to 200!
4. Orlando, Florida – While Orlando is a popular destination spot for travelers and tourists, there are approximately 1,000 violent crimes per 100,000 residents every year. In an attempt to reduce the occurrence of crimes, the city is installing surveillance cameras across the entire city.
5. Birmingham, Alabama – While the state as a whole is considered fairly safe, Birmingham has some of the highest national stats for rapes, property crimes, and murders. Chances are, if you have lived or currently are living in Birmingham, you will be the victim of a crime at some point during your stay.
6. St. Louis, Missouri – This city has some of the highest crime rates in the country, with robberies and murders breaking the top 5 highest in the country.
7. Memphis, Tennessee – Similar to Atlanta, Memphis has a reputation for increased occurrences of aggravated assault, making up the bulk of the crimes that are committed in this city.
8. Miami, Florida – While Miami has a high crime rate, the reality is, that most parts of the city are very safe. Most of the robberies and assaults that take place happen within a small square mile area, meaning that most residents will be safe from ever witnessing or being a victim of a crime.
9. Baltimore, Maryland – Baltimore has something of a mix of crime types, with murders and assault being quite above the national average, however, property crimes are much lower than many of the other cities on this list.
10. Kansas City, Kansas – Overall, the crime rate in Kansas City is three times above the average in the nation. The one type of crime that stands out the most compared to the others is the prevalence of vehicle theft. You’ll want to make sure you lock your doors every time you leave your car unattended in this town.
We hope you’ve found our list of the 10 most dangerous cities in the U.S. helpful, and will hopefully serve to increase your awareness of the safety or lack thereof in your moving destination.